Sunday, May 3, 2009

Same situation, different reaction

I know someone pretty close to me. I saw her last weekend and was just asking about how life has been lately and she mentioned that due to how bad her company/employer is doing in this harsh economy, she got a 20% pay cut, no longer works full-time hours and just last week, they had a company-wide shut down; thus, she had to take unpaid time off for a week! However, what struck me was not how "scary" her professional/financial situation was, but it was how she delivered her message - she said it without intent - it was simply informative - meaning she wasn't trying to be upbeat about it which would have been untruthful, but she also was not looking for sympathy (like a drama queen). She was just plain honest...which now that I think about it, is something I have always admired about her.

She is a wonder because even though she goes through the same hardships as most people do, she is the opposite of a drama queen without being overly/annoyingly positive. I just found it admirable that although her situation is of a concern during our hard economic times just like everyone else, she is keeping her cool and is handling it with a strong yet honest attitude.

10% is what happens to you; 90% is your reaction.

Photobucket

No comments: